Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Student Study Habits

Hey guys, I was thinking of doing a story on how students study and whether listening to music while studying helps them study better. I know study habits are different for everyone but I could compare and contrast what I find.
I could talk to students about their study habits and what kind of environment is best for them to study in. And I could also talk to an "expert" on study habits and what kind of environment is ideal to study in. A few questions...


For the student:
What kind of environment do you study in?
Totally quiet? Do you need a few distractions? Can you study in a TOTALLY quiet room?
When you study what kind of music do you listen to?
Is it loud? Is it soft? Is it rocker music? Is it classical music? Is it the kind of music you usually listen to? Do you use earphones?

For the expert:
What kind of study environment is best for students?
Does music help students study better?
What kind of music is best to study with?
Have you seen any patterns in the study habits of students?
Especially at this time of year with finals coming up what would you suggest to students regarding study habits?

Are there any other questions you I should ask? Where else could I go with this story? And I agree with Casey... I'll comment on yours if you comment on mine!

3 comments:

Kate Clark said...

When I study, I most always listen to music. I use earphones because it seems to block out any other distractions. I tend to listen to the same band everytime I study, I think it triggers something in my brain that tells me "Its time to get down to business!" It is soft music and turned down pretty low, so it doesnt become distracting in itself. I also have to be comfortable when I am studying. I like to sit on the couch, have a drink. And it helps me to take breaks periodically to clear my mind and I come back to the material focused and ready to work again. Sorry for writing you a novel, but I hope it helps you out.

Madison Roderick said...

I'm really flighty when it comes to studying. If I have a lot that I have to do the prospect is so daunting that I always try to dilute it by multi tasking with some form of entertainment like a movie or music but I've noticed that when I do that it hinders my progress. For me whether or not I listen to music while I work is a question of whether quality and expedience takes priority over my sainity (which it often does).

Unknown said...

You really need to get a hold of Professor Michael Ballam- he is in the music dept. and he is even writing a book right now called "Music and the Mind." Seriously, find his email, but I think it's michael@ufoc.org. I had him as a professor last year and he is very passionate about listening to music while studying- he believes it helps SO MUCH.