Thursday, November 6, 2008

"I Voted"

By: Kate Clark

Tired of the war in Iraq and rough economic times, citizens seemed thirsty to participate in this year’s election. Even so, for residents across the valley, “I Voted” stickers were deemed helpful reminders to vote Tuesday in the 2008 presidential election.

Those around the area couldn’t go anywhere without seeing the “fingerprinted” stickers adorned proudly from sweater to sweater, signifying they had placed a vote for either Obama or McCain, and other local issues.

“It is each individual’s duty to contribute to our government however they can,” said Jasmine Agee, a University student and resident of Hyde Park. “I wore the sticker so that I could hopefully encourage others to go vote.”

Another supporter of the sticker, 30-year-old Benson Brown from Logan said he decided to wear the sticker “to show that I have performed my adult responsibility as an American citizen.”

Brown argued that all citizens should have a pride for America and in our democratic freedoms. He compared the “I Voted” sticker with displaying an American flag at your home on the fourth-of-July. “People should showcase that they have exercised their American rights,” said Brown.

Some even called the stickers “last minute advertising,” like Carol Jensen from North Logan who volunteered as a clerk judge at the North Logan Library to help out with voting.

Jensen, who jokingly admitted that she has been voting for many years, said that the stickers have only been passed out for the last five to ten years. She also admitted to having “a really good time,” volunteering although she was at the library for 16 hours.

“I saw fewer voters than I expected because I knew how much interest there was in this campaign,” said Jensen.

But she didn’t blame it on “last minute advertising.”

“I think a lot of people took the option to vote early and avoid the lines on Election Day,” said Jensen.

The stickers weren’t always looked at positively.

“It has almost become too much of a trend to wear the sticker,” said Utah State student Ezra Price. “I think they showcase a sense of self-righteousness.”

Price argued that you don’t have to exploit the fact that you voted to feel good about doing it. “There is a quiet sense of satisfaction you get after doing something you know is right,” said Price.

“We all like rewards,” said Jensen. “I don’t think anyone comes to get the sticker, but it is a way of saying thank you for coming and voting.”

No comments: