Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Story Pitch

My topic is about the Accommodations (or lack there of) for Deaf students at USU, my focus is that there is not much being done. For example, when they showed Iron Man on campus, the people in charge wouldn't set up the closed captioning so the deaf students could watch and understand the movie.
I also will cover what the University has and does do, such as the Deaf dance before Valentines Day... And what USU can do to improve.
I'll try to find out about the challenges and help etc... uplifting or depressing, we'll see..
So far my sources are a couple of deaf students, lab teachers, ASL teachers, and some students who attended the deaf dance. Let me know if you know any deaf students or have other useful sources.
Muchas Gracias!

5 comments:

Ashley m. said...

i used to be a speech pathology/deaf ed major.. and i would suggest talking to Dee Child. He is an advisor and teaches deaf communication classes. He would be so happy to talk to you about this topic.

his e-mail is dee.child@usu.edu

his office is in the lilly white building you could probably drop in

Tressa M. Gilbert said...

I live above two girls that study in this department. One is deaf and the other spent some time I think with a college group in Africa teaching sign language. They are rad! Let me know if you need them.

Natasha627 said...

Thanks Ashley! I will definitely get in touch with Dee.


The Truffs: I would love if you get me those girls info!

Pease: I think I'm going to use this for my next story and go the easy route by covering a speech for the first one. I just want to be able to cover everything thoroughly about this one and the speech doesn't take as much prep. :)

Mackenzie Love said...

Natasha,

Even though you aren't going to be using this yet, there is an article in today's (Monday, Feb. 23) statesman called 'Deaf education gets a boost' that looks like it has a lot of cool facts and possible people to talk to. Good luck!

Natasha627 said...

Thanks Mackenzie, I saved that article!